Friday 26 February 2010

Time flies...............

Why is it as you get older time seems to fly past at a brisk rate of knots? Tomorrow I shall be another year older, but that is in real years. In my mind I feel no older and I am still able to master new skills and pass on some of my old skills to others. Any way age is relative, it is attitude to life that matters, some people are old at thirty and others, like me, still young with a bus pass!

So what have I achieved this week, seemingly little, but the work on re-furbishing my Trad continues. Had a real set back when the paint on the spokes failed to adhere - and I was forced to strip back and re-sand. Now the frame is painted and the spokes are waiting for the second coat (pics of this work will be posted when the project is completed) so hopefully I shall be putting it back together on Sunday. Spent a considerable time trying to purchase a split pin, finally tracked one down in a motor factor, 10 for 79p.

The hunt for a suitable yarn to make a scarf for friend's birthday present in April was far from fruitful. In the end I have had to dye some merino and bamboo using yarn and dyes from Tall Yarns











I used one pot each of Plum and Charcoal and tried to get a fairly even coverage, but not perfect as a bit of variation will I hope look good. I used the method as described in Dye One, Knit One and was please how quick and easy it was. When dry I am going to warp up for what I have named the 'James Tartan'!











The rest of the week I have been spinning up the Fibreholics samples. I am less impressed with these than when I first unpacked the parcel. Clearly in some cases not a lot of effort was put into producing the sample - two are merely blended commercially dyed yarns - I could have done this myself and probably better as one was beginning to felt where the fibre had been packed on the carder. Two samples were under weight - OK but 2grams is 10%, that's 10grams in 100. Some have spun up well, but I am not sure what I shall do with them - i.pod holders????



Still tomorrow is the monthly meeting of the SpinDyeWeavers - Whoopeee.......

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about this round. I was delighted with the first two, the third was - well OK, but lacking some of my favourites, and this time round it seemed that I ended up with quite a bit underweight.

    Seriously think we ought to consider an internal version of this kind of project, with the SDW!! each dyeing enough to share with each other if you know what I mean...

    hugs
    Shani

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails