Wednesday 3 February 2010

With a Difference?

I am not one to rant and rave, well not that much anyway, but I am really wound up about the latest series with Gok Wan. I really love the series and have helped a young friend build a new wardrobe using his tips, indeed she says that I have 'goked' her and calls me Gilly Gok when we go shopping.

Why, of why is this new series called 'How to Look Good Naked...........With a Difference'? Obviously he is not doing people - how to dress your pet, car, house or garden? No he is dressing disabled PEOPLE!!! Obviously people with physical challenges are not proper people, aliens perhaps?

Perhaps I am now being silly, but it really gets me riled, nearly as riled as when the man from the council talked over my head to my husband about the extension that I had applied for!!!!!! Needless to say he hasn't been back. Why is it some people are embarrassed about disability? Mothers in supermarkets are great examples - child in trolley on the same level as me - me pulling faces (oh, perhaps the reason) or just smiling - and the mother gets all red and rushes off and the last thing you hear is the child asking questions and mum shushing them up and looking back fearfully as if a broken back is catching. So it is a socially created problem imposed upon the young so that by the time they are adults they have the same hang ups as the previous generation. Now don't get me wrong I am the first person to make fun of myself - I have and do quite regularly...

So back to Gok - surely disabled people have the same hang-ups about their bodies as able-bodied? I hate my teeth and I am not too fond of my legs which are a wasted, but I generally I am pretty happy with the way I look - I do find buying clothes a bit of a bind however. If you spend the day sitting down then these lovely long tops that are so so fashionable are just impractible.



But you get round this and recently I have just finished a lovely little cardi that's overcomes the problem of length and looks great.

Enough, life's too short to let such things upset you for too long (although Mr S says that I can brood for days) and more importantly I have got out my loom and yesterday afternoon I warped up using some sock yarn from the Knitting Goddess for a scarf. I attempt to adapt the warping technique shown by S on her blog. It was certainly easier but I need to make it firmer which I think will entail fixing the loom to the wizzy warper for stability!!



I am stilling spinning the mulgundy and white merino and silk combination (a follow on from Apple Snow in which I blended Mulberry and Burgundy Merino, hence Mulgundy, which I then blended again with white merino and silk) and using a technique called Fractal Spinning .


On the needles is some 80/20 sock yarn from the Knitting Goddess


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails