Friday 16 July 2010

Warping - all wrapped up.

At the fourth attempt and with the help of Mr S I finally warped up my new loom. What a palaver - the instructions provided by Ashford are scrappy, further instructions may have been included with a warping board, but as usual Mr S has made this peice of equipment and also a stand for the loom at total saving of £220! Just enough for a Woolee Winder for my Joy.........................



















The first warp was far too ambitious for a first project - demanding 300 threads! I quickly realised that I was never going to get this on the loom and rewound the yarn. Try two ended the same way, in try three I realised that I was supposed to go the same way round the end post and not alternated with the raddle cross (this will only make sense to a weaver) - attempt four finally made it to the loom. Had I waited for Deborah Chandler's excellent book Learning to Weave to arrive I might have saved myself a lot of grief. Each chapter is a lesson and explains carefully how to and what pitfalls there are - sense at last.




















Meanwhile the Tour de Fleece challenge is going well by yesterday's stage 12 I have spun 500grams and watch many hours of the actual race. MC won again yesterday although there was a bit of a 'coming together of riders' and Mark Renshaw MC's lead-out man has been disqualified for head butting - who said cycling is a gentle form of exercise?


3 comments:

  1. Oh Well DONE.... to both you for your perseverance and Mr S for his carpentry skills....this looks brilliant - and all I can say is - - I am going off to buy the book... :-)

    best wishes and hugs to you both.
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - loved the colours and congrats on the Tour De Fleece.. really focusing the mind ! - I can actually see parts of my room (s) that had been lost under pillows of fleece for goodness how long...

    hugs again Shani

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really good book - just got to the lesson on reading drafts - making all those little boxes with black and white squares make sense at last!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails