Wednesday 27 October 2010

Dyeing Bonanza

Over the last few days I've been in a dyeing frenzy. It all started with the group meeting on Saturday - when we had a use up day. The idea was to use up all the odd amounts of dyes that were cluttering up both the group stash and our own. It was great fun and some odd results particularly with some of the older dyestuff.

Sunday the house was full of dripping rovings and Mr S complained that he couldn't get in the shower!

Monday, after reading on Marjie' Dye Studio blog that is it possible to dye wool with old Procion MX as if a acid dye - to have a go dyeing some Falkland. This was due in some part to inadvertantly buying the wrong dye some time ago. I didn't get good results so I am not sure what she did I didn't but there certainly wasn't any vibrant colours from my dyeing - dull, dull, dull and green exhaust!!! But there sure was when I tried the same dye stuff with silk















Don't you just love my loo seat - not real cat paws honest..



25grams of white tussah silk, soak for 45 mins in one gram of Kemtex Procion MX Dark Brown - then fixed with 20grams of salt and 5 grams of washing soda.
















Then I did the same with some turquoise dye and got the same fantastic result..


Yesterday I dye 200 grams of Superwash Merino and added it to the pile....
















and today some BFL - Bitter Chocolate, it isn't dry yet but I am 'right chuffed'- it is just what I pictured - that dark dark bitter chocolate that you get in France - the proper stuff that isn't sweet and doesn't stick to the top of your mouth - uck!















Ok I'm crazy, I don't like chocolate, well certainly not the stuff that is sold in the UK, and I'm not that keen on sweets either I'd much rather have a really sour apple or best of all I love sucking lemons - it is just making my mouth water just thinking about the taste - yum..

Just wondering when on earth I am going to find the time to spin all this - night shifts perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. Wowee, superb colours !!

    Some of the older stuff in the stash must be about 15 - 18 years old, so am not surprised that they had unexpected results! When clearing out last week I found another box, of slightly older vintage, can't make up my mind whether to chuck or play !
    I too have proxion sitting around and really don't know what to do with them - but I shall follow your lead.
    Best wishes and hope you have fun spinning up your "jewels". Shani

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails