Wednesday 13 June 2012

Never speak to strangers.........

Well that was what I was told as a girl.............this fact was probably one of the first things that was drummed into me when I started to go out alone - yes in the 1950s and 60s children were allowed out on their own - I was often absent from home for hours at a time and no one really worried unless you missed a meal - but the one thing that we were never, ever to do was to speak to a stranger, the only exception to this rule was a policeman.........

Well yesterday afternoon I spent the entire time talking to complete strangers - knitters (and one crocheter) in the Arnofini Cafe.  The meeting had been organised on Ravelry through a group known as The Friends of.......... I am not going to go into the reasons for the formation of this group, there are plenty of blogs that go into the KALMedia/ACM debacle - the best one is here, and in some way we must be grateful to KA for bringing us all together............  It was a little reminiscent of the 'wearing a red rose and carrying The Times', except that we all had our knitting and our nom de plumes!

The main reason was to meet up with Pompom who is over here for a few weeks, but the other was to discuss the shenanigans of ACM and the new editorship and rebirth of the magazine once known as Yarn Forward - and a great time was had by all........................and by 4 o'clock we weren't strangers but friends.

On Saturday I will breaking the not speaking rule again - at the North Somerset Fleece Fair, where the SpinDyeWeavers will be demonstrating spinning and combing and other sheepy things from 2-6pm. 

Best of all we will get first dips into the fleeces - well I won't be doing that because I've already reserved my fleece and I AM NOT BUYING ANYMORE fleeces until I have processed the 12 already hanging in the loft...........................................




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails