Thursday 24 January 2013

Sharing.......................

I am as happy as the next person to share - thought, ideas, equipment and the like, but I do so wish that other people wouldn't be a free with their germs..............

I recoil with horror to those people who 'bravely' struggle into work, coughing and sneezing and so spreading their germs to all an sundry, or me in particular.  While the perpetrator is most likely to back to normal health in a couple of days, for some, the common cold can mean several weeks of misery. Unable to have the flu jab because of allergies I have hope that I can avoid people with colds and flu-like symptoms.  But that is not always possible - ten days ago I came in contact with such a brave soul and for over a week I have been running a temperature, coughing up enough phlegm to float a battle ship in and coping with a pounding head, and aching jaw - I have not been able to sleep properly - needing to prop myself up (in bed and out) to keep the racking cough from completely taking control.  I haven't had a full nights sleep, nor for that matter has Mr S, nor have I been able to leave the house or really do anything crafty - all because someone thought that it was OK to go into company with a streaming nose and cough. 

Yesterday I felt up to plying my gradient dyed yarn (the first time in a week I have touched my wheel) and have to say that I am really pleased with the result

 

Although the blend of Polwarth and Tencel had its problems.  This was a custom order from World of Wool and being new to the business of custom blending I only asked for 2 passes - this was a big mistake, and meant that the tencel was not blended, but sat on the fibre rather than being integral as this picture of the dyed fibre shows


There is a lovely sheen, but tencel on its own is weak and doesn't take the dye, and I lost over 15 grams in waste - lesson learnt!  Waiting the wings is a whole kilo of Polwarth and Silk that had 5 passes and is so beautifully blended I can't wait to dye and spin - just need to get rid of this cough and pounding headache and I'll be all systems go....................

2 comments:

  1. Ugh to the bugs, hope full health returns soon.

    Love that yarn, see what you mean about the tencel but what a beautiful bright yarn to lift your spirits. Look forward to seeing the plwarth/silk blend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - feeling really sorry for myself, but the yarn did cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails