Thursday 11 April 2013

Thursday is the new Wednesday......

Bank Holidays and clock changes have completely disrupted my sense of time!  I thought today was Wednesday until I realised that I was taking Thursday's pills - thank goodness that the manufacturers of medication considered it beneficial to mark the days of the week on the reverse side of their packaging - otherwise some weeks I really wouldn't know what day of the week I was currently in.....

So Woolly Thursday - the last month has been particularly productive and in Mr S's opinion rather expensive...

I acquired my much longed for Schacht Matchless, traded in my basic drum carder for a Ashford wide carder and discovered the joy if spinning woollen from faux rolags (or punis) from the results of my colour blending on the drum carder - that's quite a lot of experiences for one month IMHO....


First the Matchless - I had been lusting, for more that a year, for what many consider to be the Rolls Royce of spinning wheels and I haven't been disappointed it really does to what it says on the tin - super smooth easy to treadle (obviously mine is a single treadle) and I have producing some really super yarn on her


These tweedy yarns, inspired by Jared Flood's Loft, were blended and carded on my new wide carder, then rolled into punis and spun woollen, I call them my Mossy Wood Tweed Collection............... delusions of grandeur?

I also spun some of my finest yarn on her - a silk and camel blend dyed in a aubergine colour which I have called Brinjal.



I have also discovered that this particular silk and camel blend is much better paint dyed rather than kettle dyed - I think it must be something to do with the way the silk snatches the dye before the camel. Brinjal was kettle dyed and this one Peacock I spaced dyed, but I do love the way the silk gives such a lovely sheen to the yarn........



Finally for this blend I tried adding nupps - this time rather than the commercial ones I cut up some tweedy yarn and added that to the mix of Mocha and Blaze from the WOW.  In fact the nupps are so well blended you have trouble seeing where they are - the test now is to see if they pop out when I spin the punis.



1 comment:

  1. What wonderful busyness! I've enjoyed seeing your blends, enjoy your new wheel - sounds like you are x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails