Friday 3 January 2014

That was the year that was!

I don't make New Year's Resolutions as I have always felt that you start with good intentions and by the end of January the enthusiasm has fizzled out and you are left with a feeling of failure...............

Instead I thought I would ponder on things I have achieved during 2013...

I think my crowning moment was being awarded First Prize at the Gillingham and Shaftesbury Show for the SpinDyeWeavers display in the Action Crafts Tent.  We had put a lot of effort into 2013's exhibits with the intention of answering the two most common questions of 2012............. which were sheep fleece - aren't they all the same and do you use natural dyes?

Of course the answer to the first is no they were all bred for a specific purpose and to the second yes, but you do realize that natural dyes need chemicals to make the colour stick!

Spinning and 2013 saw the 'Murmuring of Spinning Wheels' grow!  With the addition of Demelza (Schacht Matchless), Miss Bliss (Louet Bliss), and more recently a Haldane Shetland.  Other wheels have come and gone as I continue to explore the wonderful world that is spinning.

Currently I am refurbishing a Ashford Traditional and a Louet lookalike - both Ebay purchases and both in need of tender loving care.

The Trad looked OK until you got up close and found that some kind soul had liberally covered everything, and I mean everything, in a thick gloopy varnish.




But with some remover and elbow grease the beautiful patina of the wood is showing through..


Recently I watched Judith McKenzie's Gentle Art of Plying, as, I expect like a lot of other spinners, plying for me was just the last stage of the spinning process..

The blurb says 'Plying is not an afterthought. It’s your gateway into the vast world of yarn design.' and it really is.  Since watching I have taken on board the rights and wrongs and my plying is definitely improving....

This is a skein of Cashmere and Silk (50/50) from World of Wool with I believe a very even twisted ply.  Plying needs concentration, probably more so than spinning, one steady hand and regular treadling... Take you time and try to ply in one go!

So - things for 2014...

  • I really should stop adding to my stash of fibre and yarn, but I know that is  an impossible feat - so I will try the one in one out approach if at all possible! This ambition has already been breach and its only Jan 3rd....

  • Spin everyday if only for 5 minutes

  • 'Walk' for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week.. This is weather dependent - I will NOT push in the wet!

  • Make the most of every minute - you never know what's round the corner and so many people not that much older than me have die recently - makes you realize that you are mortal!
Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails