Sunday 21 December 2014

(Un)Apologetic Self Advertisement...........

They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of  flattery - especially when it comes to ideas............

In this month's Hand-spinning News under Tips and Tutorials there is a link to an article in Knittyspin in which yours truly is given a mention!  Fame at last?

You may remember, or you may well not, as it was two years ago I was experimenting with ways to produce gradient roving - well Laurie Osborne took some of my ideas and has produced some really gorgeous gradient roving which she has spun up and made the most stunning cowl - her Kayak Cowl which is available free in the same issue.

Advertisement over on to more mundane things.........

If like me, you spin far more yarn than you can ever knit, then weaving is the perfect answer to your storage problems.  Hand spun yarn makes for fabulous scarves, but better than table mats and the like you can weave material - material that can be cut and sewn!  This eureka moment, has I hope, brought a new enthusiasm for the craft. 


Before I get out my big loom and all that entails  I have been experimenting with my 16" rigid heddle loom.  And although this was fine, I found that it was very time consuming to warp.  So, just because we are staying home this December, thus saving a considerable sum, I bought one of the 'sample it looms' just for playing with colours.



  

And for this I tried some 'new to me' dyes - and result!

Highlighter pink

Highlighter Yellow






These were quite hard to exhaust(I did use the same amounts as I normally use with Landscape and Gaywool Dyes, less next time!) so I have some roving that's just a bit lighter in hue and this is what I have done so far using pick up sticks for the fibre.


Its not the photo that yellow really pops out!  Next the pink, and then who knows.............

Finally for those who don't want all the hype of the massy thingy etc

The Winter Solstice is on Sunday, 21 December 2014, 23:03 GMT - the sun starts is journey back to summer............

Happy New Year!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails